Regular wellness exams are one of the most important things you can do to keep your pet healthy. The American Animal Hospital Association recommends annual wellness exams at a minimum and as your pet ages, they suggest an increase in frequency of visits. We believe strongly in preventive care and have developed wellness plans for every stage of your pet’s life.
One of the most important reasons to bring your pet in on a regular basis is to monitor and treat conditions before they become less treatable. Since pets can’t vocalize how they’re feeling, illness or disease may be present before you are aware of symptoms.
The benefit of early detection allows time for steps to be taken to manage or correct a problem before irreversible damage occurs. Because our pets age so much faster than we do, regular wellness exams are one of the best ways that you can help your pet live a long, healthy life.
During a wellness exam, our staff and doctor will:
- Take your pet’s vital signs (weight, pulse, temperature, etc.)
- Talk with you about your pet’s health history, including eating habits, exercise, unusual behaviors, past medical issues
- Do a complete nose-to-tail physical examination, including dental exam
- Suggest and perform diagnostic testing such as blood work, urinalysis, fecal exam (for organ function and parasites)
- Administer recommended or required vaccines based on life stage
- Recommend and perform other disease screenings based on symptoms and/or life stage
That said, wellness exams do not mean that your pet is going to be subjected to a barrage of complicated or costly medical tests and treatments. While some animals may need the close monitoring of blood work, x-rays or other tests, many pets benefit simply from being physically examined and having their general health assessed, preventing a major health issue from developing undetected.
Want to schedule your pet for a wellness exam? Make an appointment online or call us at (410) 838-7797 ext. 2.